Recipes

Recipes

Theatre reviews

Recipes

Science of baking

Recipes

Bakery Reviews

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Cakes

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Biscuits

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Tarts, pies and other pastries

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Breads

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Others

Thursday 8 November 2012

Patisserie Leila, Bristol

How did I discover this place? Well, I've actually walked past it several times before on my way to friend's place. But I have NEVER been inside the patisserie. Yesterday, I was frustrated and essentially quite pi*ssed off in the morning at work so I decided to leave and work from home instead. At lunch time, since I had nothing in the house to make anything sweet with and I was in the process of proving my bread dough, I decided to go and buy myself some sweet treats! That's where Patisserie Leila come in. 

According to the patisserie's website, all the chefs/patissiers there were trained at Le Notre in France and the window display did look wonderful (and it's literally 5 minutes walk from my flat), it tempted me to go inside and buy something. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with a smile and the waiter and waitress were very nice and welcoming. Me, being a typical difficult customer asked them if they can tell me what each of the display is and genuinely been quite thorough in what I asked. Again, they were very helpful! 

So moving on to the desserts. I bought 5 different flavours of macarons, a black forest gateau and a strawberry tart. The macarons were all delicious and looked ever so tempting. Both the texture and the flavour were great and You can definitely taste what is meant to be in each macaron. 

The black forest gateau, or what they insisted was a black forest gateau was also very good, the chocolate sponge was very moist and the flavour really complemented the fillings. Though the cream is just a little too sweet for me. Also, they have used strawberries instead of the traditional cherries to my surprise, hence I'm not sure if I can still call that a black forest gateau.

The strawberry tart also tasted very good. The creme patissiere was light and sweet, but a bit too runny for my liking, I would like it to hold its shape slightly better, but all in all, very good. 

So, I would really recommend this little cafe/patisserie to everyone who visits Bristol. It's fairly centrally located just off gloucester road and about 10 minutes walk from Bristol city centre. Another thing is, since it's not a chain, what it has to sell and on display varies from day to day, which I think is a good thing. 

So here is the address to this wonderful patisserie:
Patisserie Leila
88 Stokes Croft
Bristol, BS2 3RJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment