Recipes

Recipes

Theatre reviews

Recipes

Science of baking

Recipes

Bakery Reviews

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Cakes

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Biscuits

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Tarts, pies and other pastries

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Breads

Recipes (or add your own index title)

Others

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Bova's bakery, Boston, MA, USA

Yet another bakery I looked up and this one also received some fairly good reviews by locals. Their name is definitely not as big as the big bakeries and patisseries in Boston, but I think the family ran and rustic nature won me over. The street the bakery is on is tucked away and it's not that easy to find. It wasn't packed as expected, but it did have a wonderful smell of baked goods inside. Their baked goods aren't fancy decorations, what you see is what you get and I like that. They have a nice range of bread on display, but unfortunately I only picked up a loaf of ciabatta bread there. 

Again, I picked a few nice looking baked goods ranging from bread to cake and pastry. I don't have a picture for the bread, because I finished the whole loaf before I realised I didn't have a picture, but it was a good loaf of ciabatta bread, it had a nice crust to it and the flavour wasn't too strong, but adequate . I'm not a huge fan of heavily yeasted and fermented bread, so this for me was perfect. There are large irregular air pockets in the bread as well. So as far as ciabatta goes, it ticked all the boxes. 

The cheesecake was what I had next, it was a plain cheesecake, there are other flavours, but I stuck with the plain one, as I think that really tells you of the bake itself. Strong flavours can mask a multitude of sins as they say. The cheesecake was not too heavy, but nicely cream and soft and the biscuit base held together well. I would have liked it to be a bit more buttery, but that's personal preference. So the cheesecake was nicely made too. 

Moving on the the sfogliatelle, at least I think that's what it was, it didn't really have the layers I was expecting from the appearance. It was quite tough actually, but since I've got no idea what it should be like I can't really tell. 

The eclair was strange. The pastry itself is fine and you can't really go wrong with the chocolate topping. But I felt the pastry cream filling was a bit too much and heavy for my liking, it just tipped the balance over from something that is very good to something that is just ok. 

The fruit tart was also very weird, not in terms of the fruit or the creme patissiere, but the pastry. It's not shortcrust pastry, it's very hard, very sweet and definitely not a meringue. It made it very difficult to eat as well. I must say, I'm a big fan of fruit tarts in general, but I didn't really enjoy this one. 

Over all impression: 6/10
Ciabatta bread: 8/10
Plain cheesecake: 8/10
Fruit tart: 4/10
chocolate eclair: 6/10
sfogliatelle:  can't tell, don't know what it's like, but as far as how much I enjoyed it, 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment